"A proving ground for upcoming warriors and heroes. Inspiration for the tales of the Salaman." -Portas Leaf-Forlorn.
The Mountain of War is the Central Mountain among The Mountains of Magic. It is home to only the brave and powerful among Salaman, though is primarily the birthplace and home to many creatures of great power and mysticism. It is also the place where The Ember of Kalokairi is stored.
Residents of The Mountain
Few people choose to reside upon The Mountain, given how dangerous it is. Those who do tend to be unhinged and either live alone, or in small communities. As of The Age of Winter, there are two such communities. The first of these communities is called Xia Jia, and is made up of ten houses, each of them ramshackle, and is located closer to the bottom of The Mountain, about a days ride from the entrance. The second community is called Shang Jia, and is made up of caverns built into a larger cavern near the top of The Mountain. Those who live alone include:
- Huoyan (Salamander, living inside The Mountain itself, seeks The Ember of Kalokairi for himself)
- Kuang Shi (Last emperor of the Salaman, living inside The Mountain, is insane and claims dominion)
- The Palehand (Large creature living in the mountain, lures people to their deaths)
A longstanding tradition dictates the protection of The Ember of Kalokairi. Warriors seeking to prove their might and earn accolades might journey to the heart of The Mountain to relieve those guarding The Ember, becoming Emberguard themselves, until they are relieved. They reside in The Ember Chamber.
The Cinder Pilgrims
During the 55th year of The Horse, in The Age of Winter, there was a group seeking to become Emberguards. Each were from a different Mountain, as tradition dictates. Five in all, each of The Cinder Pilgrims are:
- Langman (Of The Mountain of Romance)
- Lucheng (Of The Mountain of The Journey)
- Zhengyi (Of The Mountain of Justice)
- Shui (Of The Mountain of Water)
- Hua (Of The Mountain of Flowers)